Thursday, July 17, 2008

at this hour


A few artworks that have been shuffling around in my mind lately:


300...the movie, the commitment, the FIGHT.

I'm Yours...Jason Mraz "I guess what I'll be singing is there ain't no better reason to rid yourself of vanities and just go with the season."

The Hour and What is Dead...Li-Young Lee

Tonight my brother, in heavy boots, is walking

through bare rooms over my head,

opening and closing doors.

What could he be looking for in an empty house?

What could he possibly need there in heaven?

Does he remember his earth, his birthplace set to torches?

His love for me feels like spilled water

running back to its vessel.



At this hour, what is dead is restless

and what is living is burning.



Someone tell him he should sleep now.



My father keeps a light on by our bed

and readies for our journey.

He mends ten holes in the knees

of five pairs of boy's pants.

His love for me is like sewing:

various colors and too much thread,

the stitching uneven. But the needle pierces

clean through with each stroke of his hand.



At this hour, what is dead is worried

and what is living is fugitive.



Someone tell him he should sleep now.



God, that old furnace, keeps talking

with his mouth of teeth,

a beard stained at feasts, and his breath

of gasoline, airplane, human ash.

His love for me feels like fire,

feels like doves, feels like river-water.



At this hour, what is dead is helpless, kind

and helpless. While the Lord lives.



Someone tell the Lord to leave me alone.

I've had enough of his love

that feels like burning and flight and running away.

4 comments:

heather hub said...

wow. awesome poem.

lets watch 300 soon since we've been talking about it since december.

Anonymous said...

"God, that old furnace, keeps talking"

That line! That poem! That poet.

When most people read poetry, their voices are glossy and echo a lot. But when Li-Young Lee reads his voice sounds matte like it's coming from inside a secret room.

juliosantabanez said...

baby, i'm so proud of you reaching in all deep in to the dark places. Its not scary after you shine the flashlight on it and realize that its just a tree branch!

Martha Elaine Belden said...

whoa. that poem took my breath away.

and i loved 300 too! i own it. hahha... i'm a dork.