Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Chocolate on My Tongue

Some days I feel like the most privileged person and that all other people are just a bunch of suckers. This is just because I experienced something deeply inspirational and now I hold it inside of me. This feels good.

What doesn't feel good is Dallas, where Heather and I just arrived from a weekend spent in Portland, Oregon. We went for Pickathon, a roots music festival and because we love that city. The bad news is I left my ipod nano on the plane and somewhere, probably in New Orleans, someone is enjoying my song collection. Due to carry-on restrictions in airports, which I forgot about, I also lost a pocketknife and several toiletries including a nearly full tube of toothpaste. The good news is that Heather and I did not get in a wreck this time nor did we hit any police officers. Whew.

In short we heard tons of great music and we danced hard. We even square-danced and let me tell you that we can rip and snort with the best of them. This trip could become an annual event.

Here's my MUSICAL HIGHLIGHTS from the weekend:

The Wood Brothers --songs "Postcards from Hell" (if you find this, let me know), "Chocolate on My Tongue" and the entire Ways Not to Lose album. If these guys play in a city near you, don't miss out.

Langhorne Slim--"Restless" "In the Midnight" and "I Will"

Gregory and the Hawk
--"The People Who Raised Me"

Sassparilla Jugband--They are crazy fun live. "Sassy Pants"

Erin Mckeown--"Get Happy" and "Rhode Island is Famous for You"

The Avett Brothers--phenomenal live performances as always. They played a knock-the-breath-out-of-you-beautiful rendition of "If it's the Beaches," and "Famous Flower from Manhattan" sprouted in the middle of "Pretty Girl from Annapolis." They are coming to Dallas and to Austin in November. SAVE THE DATE.

2 comments:

Martha Elaine Belden said...

i'm SO excited to see the avett brothers with you guys!!!

Cara said...

1. i'm sorry dallas doesn't feel good to you. it doesn't feel particularly good to me either. i feel like you're a portland kind of girl, tahj, but i guess i don't know you too too well.
2. i feel like i'm a portland kind of girl too, though i've never visited. one day... and hopefully soon.
3. yep, i'm pretty excited about the avett brothers.