Thursday, August 30, 2007

hearing things

I don't have many memories of listening to music at home as a family. I don't remember sitting in my trainers on the carpet, stacking blocks to any sensational tunes from my parents' generation, no Beatles, no Dylan, not even the Carpenters.

Curt asked me tonight if that's why I love it so much. I guess the easy answer is yes. I didn't know it then, but now I do, yay.

The long answer has something to do with how "discovering" music is like getting socked hard in the gut and trying to recover breath. I wasn't exactly deprived of music, but there's something to be said for an unsuspecting moment blindsided by awesomeness. This makes me grateful for people. Like many introverts, I need a large amount of solitude. It's just that people give music. We tell each other about it, we experience it together. That is cool.

Maybe it's because I live in Dallas, aka Materialism capital of the South, but I hear people scoff at the gift of a burned cd. It's such a cool gift, who cares if it's cheap? Music means something to everyone. Try and get that sort of value from a pair of Pumas.

5 comments:

freethoughtguy said...

Music, I think, can't be "pushed" on anybody. People should gravitate to what they like, and study the wonder of music. Or silence.

Martha Elaine Belden said...

i love this post. music is so amazing. when people ask "if you had to be blind or deaf which would you choose?" i always answer "blind" ... and people are always shocked. but i can't imagine never hearing music again. it touches something in my soul that no sight could ever do. i absolutely love beauty and nature and mountains and oceans, and i would be devastated to lose my sight. but when push comes to shove... at least i'd have the memory of those sights... but i couldn't bear never to hear music again.

again... great post.

Rebekah said...

Amen, sister... you said it so well.

Cara said...

yeah, i dig music. there's more i want to say, but i have a hard time writing about music. i guess i don't want to do it a disservice.

Anonymous said...

I, for one, couldn't agree more. In fact, that was what my wife & I gave as gifts to our guests who came to the wedding and reception...burned CDs of music. Though, truth be told, it wasn't our idea, but rather we borrowed it from friends of my wife who did the same for their wedding.