Thursday, April 2, 2009

30 Days, 5 of them bloody

For my 30 days of writing project the group leader provides a topic everyday. Today's topic is physical pain. I've been sick, as so many have, from battling a sore throat to throwing up mucus. Lovely, I know. But it's not much to write about.

I mentioned that my cousin had a baby last week. When we were all admiring her new daughter, I told her she set a standard in the family in giving birth. With barely a shot of pain reliever she made it through labor and I say that's super admirable.

I don't think either sex has a higher pain tolerance than the other. It seems to be much more person specific to me. But I will say that women have expected pain. In fourth grade sex education class, I was horrified, petrified, furious to find out about menstrual cycles. Thanks, God. Thanks a lot. My life was worry free until then. I couldn't have cared less about sex, what goes where, Fallopian shmalopian, who gives a prostrate? A sweet, hunchbacked little lady just told me I'm going to bleed for one week every month. My life is screwed!

There are mile markers in every girl's period. Her first time to start, of course. The first time she wants to swim, but can't because she doesn't know how (or really want) to use a tampon. The first (and only, I hope) time she bleeds through her pants in public. Yikes. In the words of Uncle Jesse, have mercy. Worse than all that is the first time a cramp takes her to her adolescent knees, gasping and breathing like she's practicing lamaze.

I used to think that maybe our menstrual cycles prepare us for the pain of childbirth. But cramps don't get easier because you've had them before, and I suspect that childbirth doesn't feel easy because you've had cramps.

5 comments:

Sinclair Fleetwood said...

I was ten when I bled through my pink miniskirt in front of 4th grade, vomited for the first time from cramps, and grew boobs so big ann so fast I had back spasms. It's been pretty much the same ever since. Women are taught to expect pain, perhaps that's why we are so much better at dealing with it.

janae said...

This is a great post! I laughed out loud a couple of times. Oh, the fun of menstruation. And you are so right....I don't think going through cramps make labor any easier or more bearable. It's just more pain our bodies go through. I agree.... thanks, God. Thanks.

heather hub said...

there were so many good things about this post...but the best was that you quoted uncle J. how i miss full house.

tahj said...

hub, you don't have to miss it. it's on ALL THE TIME. tear your eyes away from oprah for just 10 seconds...

tipsy texter said...

i would like to add a michelle: "good grief" to the mix. then again, those chicks probably don't have enough body weight between the two of them to actually get a period.