Friday, April 17, 2009

Don’t Hate

By my work there are many a beggar. If you smoke a cigarette, they need one. If you have a cell phone, they’d like to use it. Of course if you have spare change (bills preferred), then go ahead and contribute to their bus ticket cause. They might buy a $5 coffee drink, but alas, they are still $18 short for a bus ticket. They will ask for anything. Or not ask.

Last week one man tried to jack our tips that sit on the windowsill of the drive-thru. A co-worker saw and asked him to put it back. He dropped some change in the bucket. She asked for the rest of it.

“The dollar?”

Yeah, the dollar.

“Fine.” He replaced the dollar and as he walked away said, “Don’t hate.”

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That's so awful! I'm glad your co-worker caught the thief (yes, that is definitely stealing). I'm all for people asking for help when they need it, but some people have no shame. Always asking and never giving is a damn selfish way to live.

I tip nearly everywhere I go that has a tip jar, but I don't want other people's hard-earned cash to be stolen. Now I'm thinking twice about just leaving money on a waited table--I've always wondered if that actually gets to the waiter/waitress, or to someone with sticky hands.

Got any tips on safe tipping?

tahj said...

it's always nice to just be handed a tip. it's more personal and you'll probably be remembered. we actually only keep a dollar or two in our window tip jar b/c people try to steal them ALL THE TIME! it's rotten. thanks for tipping!