Friday, April 3, 2009

Dream House

Traveling I love. Vagabond living I like. Commitment I shy away from. Even so, the desire to get into a house where I can start my own garden is growing by the day. I imagine this is how other women feel when they get baby fever. I have baby squash fever. Or something.

My dream house borders a forest and is a 10 minute walk from the beach. I have a back yard with a garden. Next to the garden is my studio, which is a small, two room building with a half bath. One room for my desk and lots of bookshelves. The other room has a drawing table, an easel, a throwing wheel and lots of shelf space. Many windows included. Also, on the border of my land/forest I'll have a big tree house in which binoculars will be kept, along with some RTE foods, sleeping bag, and a radio.

When it comes to rooms, the most important to me is the kitchen. I want a large kitchen with a big island with a cutting board surface. Not overly large, just spacious enough to cook and spread out a little. It'll open into the dining and living rooms and the kitchen window will face the backyard. Visiting my parents in Abilene, espescially during the holiday seasons I stand in the kitchen, sometimes helping, sometimes just running my mouth and getting in the way because that is precious time of talking, laughing and getting silly with my mom. Kitchens offer the right amount of diversion in conversation for me.

Patios and porches are the other main necessities (luxuries) for my dream house. A front porch just big enough for a couple chairs and table with three steps leading down to the yard will do. The back patio should be bigger, covered and will house some chairs, a chimenea, and a grill, all bordered by citrenella plants. I want a natural fence made simply from live bamboo.

I will have at least one dog, probably a great dane since I am newly in love with this breed and I'll own a gun to protect against snakes, wild animals and commies.

What is the most important room to you?

2 comments:

JPM said...

So agree about the kitchen and that so much goes on there besides cooking and eating. nice post!

Anonymous said...

Wow ! Amazing blog to follow I would suggest to follow my all friends and family to follow his blog . Vivacious Blog - Full life and energy. Keep Posting, vintage wedding dresses!?! christian louboutin fur boots. New