Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My City

We’re still getting to know each other, Austin and me. So much yet to experience, what with spring here and with summer coming soon. Part of making a city your home is finding your favorite hang outs. I still say I'm new here when people ask me directions. Last week while wining and dining at the southside Waterloo, I realized this: My absolute favorite drink in my favorite Texas town is a Mexican martini made with Sauza Conmemorativo tequila. That's quite a statement to make, but it’s that serious. Plus, the back patio overlooks a playground and a community area. It’s laid-back and family friendly. Last week Glen and I sat out there just before dusk and after a nice rain and it was the best kind of relaxing or if you don’t mind, chillaxin.

The only bad part about this area that is as south as south Austin can be is that this new development, while housing local Austin eateries as well as chain stores, looks like any other shopping center in oh say, north Austin or Dallas or Plano or Frisco. Such monotony is expected in north Dallas, but please no, not in south Austin. It’s a pretty place, nice and well landscaped, just disappointing.

2 comments:

mister e said...

I agree. The massive amounts of development happening at the north and south poles of the city breed boring-ness. But worse than that, they also edge out more interesting local businesses. Boo concrete wastelands. Yay for mexican martinis!

Bicky said...

good to see you've been blogging alot lately - i'm gonna try to start keeping up better! love and miss you!