Saturday, April 4, 2009

LIfe not in Digital

Jesus told his disciples that they would always have with them the poor. Also, I add, will always be the nonconformists. In this age there are technological nonconformist: people who refuse to own cell phones; those who own mobiles, but refuse to answer or check them; those who don't want to learn how to use a computer or the internet. For all the hassles I am still glad I live in this age. If I woke up in the 1800's, life would be rough. Not because I mind peeing in an outhouse or bush or bathing once a week or growing my own food. It's the conveniences that contribute to life in a meaningful way that would be the hardest hit.

Except for a few (sad number) remote areas, it is possible and even convenient to communicate with family and friends across the globe. I love this. No email or letter or phone call replaces a hug, eye contact, or face to face time with another person. Still, our technology helps span the miles and I'm so grateful. I can't imagine waiting weeks just to get a reply to a letter. Go ask some people from the 1800's if they'd accept and learn a new mail system if it meant they could hear back from their lover, sister or son immediately instead of waiting weeks. Pretty sure there wouldn't be a bunch of griping about being too old to learn, or it being too complicated. It's the doing without that really gets us willing to work for what we could have. There is something to the idea that we 2009 Americans are impatient, selfishly entitled jerks. But there is waiting to be done no matter which age a person exists in. It's universal--Tom Petty says so.

I've always felt I would not marry until I was older and that I wouldn't have kids in my twenties. I'm pretty sure this wouldn't fly in the 1800's either. It barely flies in the 21st century in many families. However, if I have the choice of time travel, I know a few concerts I'd like to catch.

1 comment:

tipsy texter said...

i appreciate your support of our technological conveniences. i know i can't live without them.